Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Bloody Jambite!

I'm sure most of you would be familiar with that title, especially if you had you undergrad in Nigeria. It's the preferred nickname for a fresher in a Nigerian univ.
Na so me sef turn JAMBITE again o! I resumed @ Northumbria Univ in Newcastle last Wed, and had to do the Jambite stuff(course enrollment) again. This time it was less stressful though. All done under an hour while in Naija u could tk approx 2 weeks to finish enrolling for your courses,i.e. if u even finish enrolling b4 exams come.

Settling in fine, met some fellow Jambites (Nigerians) like myself during enrollment and somebody explain to me why UK schools are packed full with Asians. They are just everywhere! Some even came in without prior arrangement for accommodation whereas British embassy no go even look your visa application in Nigeria if there's no evidence dt u have accommodation reserved in the UK. I guess I'd be forced to learn some Chinese b4 i leave ds place sef.

Culture shock? Can't say that I have been shocked by much of what I've seen so far. Well, one original shock is d weather sha, cant ignore that. from 27-32 degrees daily to 10 degrees (diminishing by the day) is not much fun. Amazing how d human body adapts to such changes. Back home in Nigeria, I de catch cold with d slightest provocation(too much AC or even fan) but after d initial runny nose for a day or two, d well dried up pata-pata. I even feel cool sometimes when I move around in some light clothing and I see some locals shivering in jackets.
Another shock of note(though expected)is the knowledge gap/divide. i guess that's why I'm here anyway,to bridge d divide personally. I'd really love to see us get there someday back home.

My course is Business with Hospitality and Tourism Management and I hope to learn as much as possible while here, both in and out of the classroom and go help effect some changes back home (I can hear u thinking "na so dem dey talk when dey 1st reach"), only time will tell.

I hope to have some spare time to blog more abt my experiences here. Till when next... stay kool y'all.

Ile iwe mi titun

Newcastle Business School

5 comments:

Waffarian 4:06 PM  

ahhhh, good luck oh!

Nuggets of Gold 9:01 AM  

I wish you all of God's blessings in school.

But that picture on you blog!! Where did you get that from....

Mrs Somebody 3:33 AM  

Here's wishing you all the best in your new school.

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS 12:42 PM  

Lol@ bloody jambite!! havent heard that word in a while. good luck with school babes.

Babz 11:36 PM  

Hey, tnx y'all. I go try do una proud and read o. E se gan o!

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP